Monday, November 21, 2016

Inspiration

     After Labor Day the rest of the remaining year often becomes a huge blur. One minute we're having summer BBQ's and beach days, the next we're putting together Halloween costumes, carving pumpkins, and making room for Thanksgiving leftovers in the refrigerator. It's full speed ahead until January and it can feel a bit overwhelming.  I'm thankful that I had a bit of down time before all the seasonal deluge of pageants, dance performances, and holiday entertaining, to take a few days to relax and enjoy spending some quality time with my best friend. Is there anything more wonderful than seeing a cherished friend after a year (or more in some instances) and sitting down over coffee, tea, wine, and great food, to catch up, laugh, share, and just enjoy each other's company? The proverbial "icing on the cake" is that every time we reconnect, after a long absence, it seems as though no time has passed and I love that feeling.  I also took that down time to do something else- to seek inspiration at a few of my favorite places. There's something so rejuvenating about being surrounded by sights, sounds, and aromas that you love. From the scent of old books in a rare first edition book store, to fresh baked croissants and the sheer wonder and magic of  The Paris Market and Brocante in the heart of historic Savannah; these are just a couple of my favorite places that I shared with my best friend. They help to bring clarity and to ignite a creative spark, fueling the sometimes stagnant waters of inspiration. Here's a glimpse at a few of those places:












     With that lovely early November weekend just a cherished memory now, I'm spending this week jumping back into the studio. I have a private workshop that I'm teaching in a couple of weeks and lots of preparation, organizing, and work to do before then. In addition to the workshop, there are new and revitalized illustration pieces that I will be launching on Flora Symbolica's up and coming Etsy shop. There will be much more about that in the coming weeks but for now, here's a glimpse of an older botanical piece that will be getting a new life in 2017.




     Until next time, I hope my fellow Americans have a very Happy Thanksgiving, and that we might all find a little bit of beauty and bliss this Holiday season.



No comments:

Post a Comment